Thursday, May 8, 2008

Fiji Time

After about a month of running around: getting vaccinated, moving out of my house, visting family, putting my things and car in storage, planning my trip, getting things from my old company wrapped up ....Kicking off my trip with two days of "Fiji Time" was just what I needed!

The trip started off great. Walking into LAX was a little surreal, since I've probably walked into an airport 100 times in the last couple years. It was hard to believe that I was about to take off on a 4 month trip by myself. Any fears I had were gone after a couple hours; I sat next to two other single travelers on my overnight flight, and we did a toast with free Fijian airplane wine and excitedly talked about our plans.

One of the travelers, Grace from Seattle, and I realized very quickly that we had a bunch of friends in common through lindy hop. We ended up becoming friends and sharing a hostel that was right on the beach and full of travelers from all over the world.


Fijians are the nicest people in the world. Every single local we passed on the street gave us a huge genuine smile and said, "Bula!" I probably would be that nice if I lived in Fiji, too! I bought some handicrafts from this woman at the market. All the street vendors smiled and said "Take your time - Fiji Time!"

No comments: